Greetings! In the interest of keeping the community informed, please see below for a brief review of the upcoming Newport-Mesa Unified School District (NMUSD) Board meeting. I have highlighted a few items that may be of interest to the general public.
Board Meeting Agenda Highlights:
10.a. 2017 Harbor Council PTA Reflections Program - 4th District Award Recipients. The program is an art recognition program that has been sponsored by the National PTA since 1969. It honors students for their achievements in six categories: literature, film/video, visual arts, photography, dance choreography, and musical composition.
13.a. Report on the Chromebook Initiative. Staff will provide an overview of the district’s Chromebook implementation plan.
17.a. Public Hearing of the Newport-Mesa Unified School District's Initial Proposal for Reopener Negotiations to the California School Employees Association, Chapter #18 for Negotiations Commencing 2017-2018. There is currently a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NMUSD and CSEA in place until June 30, 2019. The District has received CSEA's initial proposal regarding negotiations commencing 2017-2018.
17.b. Public Hearing of the California School Employees Association, Chapter #18 Initial Proposal for Reopener Negotiations to the Newport-Mesa Unified School District for Negotiations Commencing 2017-2018. The "sunshining" of this proposal has no direct fiscal implications. As a result of negotiations between NMUSD and CSEA, there will be a determined fiscal impact.
18.a. Approve Memorandum of Understanding with Boys and Girls Club Central Orange Coast to Provide Enrichment Programs for the Project Success After School Program at Rea and Pomona Elementary Schools for the 2016-2017 School Year. The Boys & Girls Club would provide the enrichment while the Project Success staff would provide the academic and recreation portions.
Please note that the NMUSD Board of Education meeting agenda is posted online the Friday prior to the meeting. Click here to view the full NMUSD Board of Education meeting agenda.
General Board Meeting Overview
Board meetings are where elected officials conduct the business of the school district. Agendas for regular meetings of the NMUSD typically consist of a closed session and an open session.
Closed session agenda items are confidential and cannot be shared with the public. If the board agenda contains a closed session, the topics will be routinely related to confidential employee or student issues and/or pending litigation. The Board may also discuss various negotiations with its chief negotiator in a closed session.
Open session items are non-confidential agenda items in which the board conducts its business in view of the public. Open session agenda items are divided into the following sections:
- Public comment is provided so that members of the community can speak to the Board. If a speaker addresses an issue that is not on the agenda, the Board is restricted from responding to the speaker. If a speaker addresses an issue that is on the agenda, the Board may respond when the agenda item is scheduled to be addressed in the agenda. The purpose of the open meeting law, commonly referred to as the Brown Act, guarantees that public organizations will only make decisions or address issues that have been publicly posted. Public comments on non-agenda items do not meet this threshold.
- Presentation is when an item is being presented to the Board or from the Board. Examples include presentation of a check or proclamation to the Board, or the Board presenting a Distinguished Service Award to a staff member.
- Report is a verbal communication from staff on a topic of interest to the Board.
- Consent calendar items are routine items of business that occur on a regular basis. The board will approve the consent calendar in one vote, unless the board pulls it for discussion. Often, consent calendar items are related to contract renewals, construction change orders, purchase of previously approved instructional materials, supplies and routine approvals required by state law.
- Discussion/action calendar items are required to be publicly approved separately. Items in this category are new items that have not been previously approved, require a policy change, or are related to compensation changes for all employees.
Dr. Fred Navarro
Superintendent, Newport-Mesa Unified School District